Friday 7 May 2010

Our Honeymoon Day 5

Today was a sad day.

We decided to go out on the sea kayaks, we can use them for an hour for free, so got them and went paddling off, Steve liked to ride them into the waves and hit them, which was fine, I coped and we went out to bob and rode the waves in again. In the beach cove there is a big coral reef, and we're not meant to go over it, there's not enough depth, and after about 45 minutes, we were over the coral, and sure enough, a big wave hit us and we capsized.

The coral is very sharp and scratchy painful, I was thrown onto it by the waves and buffeted about a lot. I completely panicked and couldn't get off, and the kayak was drifting to shore and Steve was trying to get me to swim off (I'd forgotten I could float) so I did, and got to shore, and my knee was scraped and bleeding, and my left wrist and I felt sore all over. I went to the beach shower to clean off whilst Steve returned the kayak and he came back looking devastated. I thought it was just the fact we'd had a shock and hurt ourselves, but in the melee, he lost his wedding ring. We'd been married for 6 days and it was gone to the sea already. We both cried, I was so upset. I know it was a complete accident, and I was wearing mine too, so I could easily have lost them and I kicked myself for not thinking of taking them off, but Steve's didn't come off easily, so it never crossed our minds.

We were both pretty upset and Steve was feeling terrible, and going to our room to put plasters on and antiseptic, we were very cross at the sea. We did go out snorkelling but the sea was rough and we couldn't swim over the coral. Steve says it's gone, I'm still hoping it turns up somehow before we go but if not, then I'm buying another one exactly the same. He says he'll lose it too, but I want him to have a proper wedding ring, and since he picked it last time, it'll have to be that one. I want him to have it and can't believe he didn't make a week before he lost it :(

After all that, we went to Playa Del Carmen at 6 on the bus and had a nice evening walking through the town. We found a Wal-Mart, (I did look at mens rings but they were naff and very pricey) and got aloe vera for our sun burn, and then went along the street to find a cafe suitable for Steve to do another time lapse. There were lots of stray kitties around, and as we'd missed dinner, we got some food, I had a prawn quesiddila and shared the remainder prawns with a cat under our table. It liked them.

Then home again at 11 and to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment