Monday 3 May 2010

The Day in Detail...

Thursday

This was my last day at work, and I got in to the office to be faced with lots of posters and pictures and I had balloons and confetti strewn across my desk! People kept coming in all day to say congratulations and it felt very surreal, knowing I wouldn’t be back as a Miss again.

We like any excuse to eat in my office, so we had a buffet lunch and sat and grazed all afternoon until 4pm when I headed off and said my goodbyes to everyone.
There wasn’t too much left to do, organisation wise, just the table plan remaining, and we heard that evening that one of Steve’s cousins little girls had come down with chicken pox and with so many children coming, and a pregnant friend, we said that it would be better to not have the little girl there (she’s 9 months) so we weren’t sure whether the parents would make it or not.

Friday

I had a day at home cleaning the place up, dusting, vacuuming and changing sheets over. Who wants to come back to a dirty house?! Steve was around and although he wasn’t the most helpful, he did try. Except when his Mum rang to invite us to dinner and he invited them (6 of them) to us for dinner instead!! So I made two large cottage pies and veggies and they brought a pudding and so I ended up hosting a meal instead.

At 6.30 though beforehand we had the wedding rehearsal and it went pretty well except when Steve looked at me to say his vows and I burst into noisy sobs. I don’t tend to cry in a neat way, I’m all red and snotty, so everyone was laughing at me, and I was laughing at myself, but terrified of repeating that on Sunday.

After the dinner when I got home, Mum and Dad had been working hard all evening on the orders of service so I felt bad for leaving them to it, but they were lovely.

Saturday

I awoke at the crazy hour of 4am and couldn’t get back to sleep, so decided to go with it, and went to make the table plan. We’d not had anything confirmed by Steve’s cousin regarding the chicken pox so decided to go ahead with it anyway as it was, so I cut out the pieces and arranged them on the board and designed bits of butterflies and all, but didn’t stick it down in case my parents wanted anything amending. They were up at 6, and thought it was fine so out came the glue!

Then came the loading. Mum had put everything we needed in the lounge and Steve’s family were coming over to load up all the wine and booze to take to Littywood in the afternoon, but for the morning, we were setting up the Church. My banners were taken along and folk were there already cleaning and arranging the flowers. It was so lovely that so many people were involved in the setting up.

At 10.30 I had to go into town for my nails and toes to be painted, so I left both families hard at work and went to be pampered!! Totally worth it, my nails are normally chewed ugly things but on all the photos I've seen, it was a good decision!

Afterwards, I headed back to Mum and Dad’s where my sister had turned up and we got McDonalds as take away for the four of us which was a nice last meal really, not the healthiest but I’ve been without it for at least a couple of months on the diet and the day before wouldn’t do too much harm.

After lunch it was time to head to Littywood and see the marquee and decorate it, and when I walked in, I was blown away with how beautiful it all was. Seriously, it was like someone else’s wedding or something!! I had it all pictured in my mind, but seeing it all laid out, it was huge!!

We set up tables and put out the message tree, with tags and the birdcage post box, then a cake table with the wooden letters and the cupcake stand, and Dad had arranged all the flowers in the jars which mum had saved and I tied ribbon onto and it was more than perfect! Everything worked out beautifully, the table plan in its frame had pearls and roses wound around it and the favours looked beautiful with the place names and table names.

At 6pm we headed home knowing it would all look stunning the next day and hoping for dry weather and a bit of sunshine for photos.

I cooked omlettes for tea, we just wanted something light, and we watched a bit of television whilst drinking red wine to help knock us out. I was shattered from such a long day and was dreading waking up to look haggard the next day.

Sunday

I actually slept pretty well, I did wake at 4 but went back to sleep. I got up at 6.30 and went to have a cup of tea with my parents and Amy joined us. Sarah texted to say she and her family were on their way and the day was underway. With the hairdresser coming for 9.30 I showered and then had breakfast and we got the set underway. I had to sit under a silly hat thing for 30 minutes and the moment it was off the photographer, Chris arrived which I was very glad about. I didn’t want me looking silly and red on any official pics!

Steve had sent me a present via my sister which I opened and was a beautiful butterfly white gold necklace with diamonds and I loved it instantly. He also put it in a box with an Edward Monkton love token saying I Love You on a bit silver heart, so for a moment I thought I’d have to wear a massive necklace before seeing the smaller, more ‘me’ necklace within the box!!

Once the hair was done, the flowers were delivered, and Sharon did a wonderful job. They were beautiful, the only problem being I’d forgotten to order a button hole for my brothers-in-law which I’d intended to, they didn’t mind too much (I hope) but it was a shame.

Chris started taking photos of everything and us getting our make up on. I was wearing one of Dad’s old shirts so as to have a button front top on and the pics are great.

Sarah arrived and with the twins everything went a little more chaotic, but it wasn’t too bad. We snacked on cheese oatcakes and pizzas and then at 12 put our dresses on for some formal photos of the family. We went in the garden and it was sooo cold!
Chris went to the Church at 1 to take Steve’s family photos and we had quite a waiting game from herein. The car arrived at 1,30 which was pretty early, and Karl and Aaron went to play in it. The waiting was really getting to me and I had a wobble moment, and had to calm down.

Amy and Mum decided to go on up and see who was around and say hello to people and then suddenly I remembered my veil! It was hanging over a spare bottle of gin to straighten it out a bit, so Sarah and I rushed upstairs and fitted it, and I decided to go with it. I liked it for a reason, and Sarah, having not been sure, agreed! So down we went, and out to the car, and it was lovely as lots of neighbours came out to see me heading off, and Dad was pleased as punch.

We got in the car, and drove over to the Tech Park which is where our church is and about 2 minutes away but we went the back way so no-one would see us. We went in a side door to church and Sarah and Amy were there and by now it was just 2pm and the registrar was waiting for us as I had to answer questions beforehand! I was secretly pleased as I’d wanted to be a bit late!!

Once that was done, Chris, our church leader and the registrar went back to the front, and announced my arrival, and then it started…. Umbrella by the Manic Street Preachers and in went Mum with the boys, then Sarah with Amy and then me and Dad.





It was a whirlwind, the church was packed with 200 people and I knew all the faces, there were my Uni friends, my work friends, my family, church friends, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat and waving and smiling at everyone one I knew and I completely forgot to look at Steve, and suddenly, there he was, so handsome and tall and waiting for me!!



It was great that we just went straight into singing, it helped me gather myself and Steve told me I looked beautiful and my dress was the right one for me!! We made it through the service until the vows and we had to look at each other, and I amazed myself, I said my words clearly and loudly, and without any tears! I apparently lost Steve money on the sweepstake he had with his brothers, but hey ho. I didn’t cry!! Steve held the service up as he didn’t kiss me as it wasn’t in the script, so I sort of hissed – ‘you’re meant to kiss me now’ and we all laughed and kissed and everyone clapped!!

After our readings, address and a bit more singing, we signed the register and were married. We walked out to much laughter with the Theme tine to Jurassic Park, (some wondered whether it was Star Wars!!) and into the back hall for a much needed cup of tea!





We got to say some hellos to people and then we headed off in the car to the reception. Unfortunately my hair couldn’t withstand the wind of the convertible much so came a little loose but I only realised after seeing photos so it didn’t bother me on the day!!



At the reception we had a bit of a receiving line with my parents and Steve’s parents, as there were so many people it was the only way we’d really get to say hello to everyone, and it didn’t take long, just 30 minutes then we got the photos underway.
By now it was really chilly outside and people didn’t want to be kept hanging around, so we just did the skeleton ones, of the families and ditched the others, trusting in the photographers reportage skills!! We did get a formal one in the church of everyone there, and a bit group one at the reception too though.





Then I got to mingle a bit and try the canapés that were being brought around and had a hair and make up check in my room upstairs with Sarah and Amy in time for the entrance for the wedding breakfast. My Dad announced us and put on Mendhelsons’ wedding march which Steve didn’t know about but he went with it!!



The meal was lovely, bowls of salads on the tables and beef, ham, salmon served and rolls and potatoes. Then scones, fruit cake and the wedding cupcakes and I think everyone enjoyed it, and thought it was a bit different.



Then came the speeches. Steve had a minor wobble after losing part of his, but it was located and he was fine. My Dad went first, and he got me weeping in the end. It was a quite emotional speech, he talked about our bond, and his pride in me being baptised and involved in church, playing in the worship band and he had some lovely words to say about Steve too.



Steve did brilliantly, he was so nervous but you couldn’t tell in the slightest, and he got some laughs. His brother Nick was best man and his really hit the right tone. Steve used to write songs when younger and Nick got hold of one and played it and people were waving their arms and Steve just buried his head on the table!! It was a very funny moment.



And then the music started and people were chatting and milling. My cousin had brought a Chinese lantern with her for us to light and being tipsy by this point, I was just wondering whether it was allowed and sensible by a marquee but it went off really well and was a lovely touch to the evening!











It was at this point we went and changed into our going away outfits as we were heading away on our honeymoon directly. Nick took charge of our luggage and was driving us to the Birmingham Airport Hilton. I went round saying goodbye to folk, and felt sad we were going but excited to be going at the same time.





And people waved us off and kept dancing and chatting and eating and it was a lovely and perfect day and just how I’d always imagined it would be. All the favours were taken, people really appreciated all the personal touches and the home made details, and I was very chuffed that everyone thought it was a very different and personal wedding, right from the ceremony to the reception.

Anyway, if you’ve made it this far, here’s the carrot!!

These are some of our official photographs from our photographer friend ☺and they're great!

No comments:

Post a Comment