Wednesday 16 September 2009

Location, Location, Location

We went to see Bishton Hall today. Dad got us an appointment with Hilary Northcote-Stafford, who lives there, teaches there and does all other things besides as well! A very jolly hockey sticks lady, Steve I think instantly disliked her as much as my parents and I did like her!

Bishton Hall was a grade I listed manor house, which is now a boarding school for the affluent, a point which immediatly put Steve off, although, I think he'd put himself off way before visiting.

We were shown from a large hall, into a once elegant drawing room, which now showed a few signs of age, and probably the fact it was a school as well. The hiring of the place was a standard £2000 which included the hall, drawing room, two larger rooms and a dining room, none of which were large enough. What we were more interested in was the dance hall, which you could make look like a marquee. But I'm not sure fabric could be enough to hide the fact from the outside it looked like a shed :( Not what I had envisioned.

However, the grounds were lovely, the gardens beautifully tended and one could hire a marqee to put anywhere we wanted, but the cost would be on top of the £2000. Which depending on marquee hire could have been a valid option, and I began to warm to the thoughts of drifting through the shrubberies on a lovely May Day, and having a stunning Marquee reception, until on returning home, Steve flatly said not. Apparentlly, if we booked there, he'd have nightmares and refuse to smile on any pictures.

Dad commented that I wouldn't have any less of a wedding than my sisters and that there was a certain image to uphold, but was jovial enough with both of us, and we do agree that a marquee would be lovely, but it's the costs of it that are worrying me.

Trentham Gardens do hire out a marquee, but it's £6.500 which seems an awful lot, but I guess it includes access to the gardens which would be private after hours. It'd be nice to go and see that one. That's more than Mum and Dad are providing though.

I don't know if I'm more disapointed in Bishton Hall's 'none-marquee' option, or Steve's adament 'No' although I have to say, the insides didn't do the hall justice.

Back to the drawing board. Oh, and Eccleshall Castle which I was very keen to see has no May availability. Which is a shame. I found the prospect of a ruined castle in the grounds very romantic!

No comments:

Post a Comment